SEM Conference advisers consider how to help AACRAO members meet demand for EMs
At the 2017 SEM Conference in Phoenix, the SEM Conference advisory board met to discuss this year’s content and look ahead to 2018 planning. At their meeting, the group was riveted by a recently-released AACRAO study on the the career path of the Chief Enrollment Officer. That study indicates that there will be almost 750 upcoming vacancies in the field of enrollment management.
The group brainstormed about how AACRAO can prepare members to successfully take on those roles. Ideas included:
- Adding an intentional career-building track at #SEM18 (Save the date: November 11-14, 2018, in Washington, DC).
- Expanding the offerings of AACRAO’s SEM Endorsement Program.
- Continuing the SEM Institute and the Senior SEM forum that were added to this year’s program.
- Enhancing focus on the professional competencies required to be successful in a Chief Enrollment Officer not only at next year’s conference, but in association activities in the coming year.
About the board
The Strategic Enrollment Management conference uses an advisory group model to keep content and programming fresh and relevant to the field. By engaging advisory groups, the AACRAO SEM conference planning process maintains a direct connection to the daily work of practitioners and the challenges they face at their institutions. The two distinct advisory groups--one for SEM and one for Community Colleges--engage with the SEM Conference Director, members of the AACRAO staff, AACRAO’s Vice President of Enrollment Management, and the SEM Conference Director to provide important perspectives and insights on the future of SEM practice from a variety of institutional backgrounds.
The membership and participation of the advisory groups are monitored and constructed in order to ensure a balance of institutional types, gender, ethnic diversity and age diversity, to ensure we are gaining the best insights into the future of our Enrollment workforce and ways to train new professionals to excel in the field.
Thank you to the volunteers for the 2017 SEM Advisory Group:
- David Kalsbeek, Senior VP for Enrollment Management and Marketing, DePaul University
- Jay Goff, Vice President for Enrollment Management, St. Louis University
- Susan Gottheil, Vice Provost, Students, University of Manitoba
- Jerry Lucido, Rossier School of Education, University of Southern California
- Tomikia LeGrande, Dean of Student Affairs, University of Houston Downtown
- Christopher Tremblay, Director, AACRAO SEM Endorsement Program
- Stan Henderson, Retired, University of Michigan Dearborn
- Mel Tyler, Vice President of Student Affairs, University of Missouri Kansas City
And the volunteers for the Community College Advisory Group:
- Kevin Pollock, President, Montgomery County Community College
- Karen Miller, Interim Provost, Cuyahoga Community College
- William Serrata, President, El Paso Community College
- Randy Weber, Vice President for Enrollment Management, Johnson County Community College
- Michael Baston, Vice President for Student Affairs, Laguardia Community College